The Patch 2.4.3 Test Realm Notes are up, and there are several that interest me, but one worries me more than any other.

  • Equipping an item will now cancel any spell cast currently in progress.

    This is the most minor change that is really a HUGE nerf to healers everywhere.

    The addon that many healers use called caster weapon swapper has a problem never before encountered. It may find itself extinct if this change is made ... let me explain.

    How it works, (for those that don't know), is currently you can equip and unequip a weapon while in combat. Very few classes have a reason to do this, but healers do it all the time. I did not realize this until I started healing.

    Anytime you equip a weapon, it triggers a global cool down. Now you can equip the weapon at any time, including during a spell cast. By equiping a weapon right as you start to cast a spell, the weapon swap and the spell now share the global cooldown. This means you never have to stop casting.

    The main reason for doing this is you can enter battle with a high intel set for a larger mana pool, then switch to your +heal set for the duration of your mana pool, then switch to a high spirit set when you get low for mana regen. There is also a setting on the addon that works the spell surge proc into this also. Once it's set, it does it all automatically for you. I also know of several healers that do this manually, so it effects more than just the users of the addon.

    Healers using this weapon swap method will have to watch this change closely ... if it does become a reality, (which I feel it will), we will have to stop using this addon, and will have to re-think the use of multiple different weapons during a fight. Blizzard had better come out with some better all around stat weapons in my opinion. I know that I don't want to be the on caught main healing a tank when I realize that everytime my weapon swaps out, (this happens as often as every 20 seconds), my greater heal stops casting and I have to start over.

    Keep in mind that the test realm is not even up yet, therefore some of this will never even see the light of day, but we will see.

  • 1 Comment:

    1. Draeneiaholic said...
      I noticed that instantly in the notes. I was a fan of 'libram twisting". Unfortunately not any longer.

    Post a Comment