I had hoped I would never have to write one of these posts. You have read them elsewhere, now you get to read one here.
When I first started this game, and knew nothing about it, (I still hate Knurd’s Hair thank god for the helm graphic), I joined a small guild that contained some people that I work with called the Feinting Goats. It was a guild that existed just to exist, and did not, and still doesn’t for that matter have any intentions of ever raiding or see any end game. It was a place to hang out.
As I started to level I met another hunter who went by Merman, and he was un-guided at the time. A client of his was a member of a much larger guild of which he had applied, called Silken Blades. We did most of our questing together, ran instances together, and became very good friends. Some friends of his were kind enough to summon me to Shattarath City so I could set my stone to the inn there and jump around the world. I saw a T4 hunter for the first time.
I wanted that set of Armor and started to do the research on where to get it. I changed guilds so I could make some friends, and would already know the people I wanted to be raiding with. That lasted until well after I was 70, and had Kara on full clear, then the drama arose.
I and a few others decided it was time to move on, and were having trouble deciding whether to start our own guild or join another guild. Hence Shadow of Greymane was born:
A good friend of ours Rocky had already moved on from SB into a progression guild a while earlier, and talked us into at least speaking with the GM of the guild he had joined.
Grayen was a business man. A nice guy, he knew what he was talking about. He listened to us, knew his stuff, and welcomed us into his guild. His guild helped us complete our T4 sets, although we were still learly of the guild and left our alts in Shadow.
As time progressed, Shadow has become more of a holding area; it has a huge guild bank that is open that is a bit of a community pot. We all put in, we all take out. A friend of ours decided to leave the game. He removed his toons from Defiant, and forgot that he had one in Shadow. We have known him long enough, that we trusted him completely so he had complete access to everything.
I logged Nuri in yesterday to go and do dailies, and head to our Guild Bank. I open it and the first thing I notice is the gold is gone. It wasn’t much, only 75g, but it was our gold none the less. It was made from selling the things that had been placed in that bank by us. I look at the log and see that there was a bunch of stuff put in by this person and just dismiss it as he sold the bank some stuff … there had been several hundred gold worth of stuff put in.
I look further … the bank is a mess. There is stuff everywhere. We then realized that it’s our stuff that has been put back. As it turns out this person shared his account information with his brother-in-law, who in turn shared it with someone else. Someone in there, (not the original person I am sure of that), logged that toon in, and started to rob us blind.
It would appear they had a change of heart and put the stuff back but kept our gold. It’s not the amount of gold, I would have given them gold … I don’t care about that … It’s not the few potions that are still missing … again I could care less … It’s the violation of our personal space by some cyber-thug out there who didn’t even have the decency to not consider taking our things.
Our friend’s toon has been removed from the guild, and he is going back and forth with Blizzard trying to regain control of the account … all of the information has been changed; he can’t log in, and has no idea where his toons are. We know the hunter was left on our server, placed in another guild, and played like nothing was different. The GM of that guild has been advised of the situation, and the hunter removed. His T5 Druid on the other hand?? We have no idea what happened to him, if he even still exists.
What people don’t realize is the tiny act of letting someone else mess with your account can impact the lives of many people .. whether you realize it or not.
We are left feeling violated, and will now second guess giving anyone access to our things again ...
It could have been much worse, luckily we are only out 75g, Chris on the other hand, now has to feel bad for quite some time because the trust of his friends was broken. Even with us forgiving him, mistakes happen, that does not remove the embarrassment he feels.
The second time someone stoly my bicycle, parked on my backyard, way away from the street. The feeling was the same.
I know those things are small and trivial in the eyes of people who really have been robbed. And probably the robbery of your bank seems trivial to others too. But I can totally understand your pain anyway. The feeling of being robbed of confidence to the world.