Arena

Your palms sweat and your heart starts pounding. You hear the chime as the queue starts. The box appears and you click accept. You find yourself locked in a room with your team mates. You all buff up and get ready. The warning message comes up counting down from ten. The doors open up and you carefully step out into the arena checking for the classes of the other teams. Welcome to the arena!

This can be one of the most frustrating yet funs portions of the game. Unlike leveling and gold, this is completely voluntary. There are 3 types of teams, 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5. I belong to one of each, although it is hard to get the 5v5 team together as schedules have to match, and everyone has to be doing nothing else at that time. My 2v2 team is a Resto Druid and my Hunter. Unlike most hunters, I use a cat for arena, Scorpids are good, but the cat is a better spell interrupt. My 3v3 team is a Resto Druid, a Feral Druid, and my hunter. In both cases we aren’t great, but we aren’t bad either. We have also just started doing this so going 5 wins and 7 losses is not a bad day for us. The 3 of us have only ever played maybe 20 arena matches total ever. I have a feeling this is going to change.

There are several methods and strategies that people employ I have noticed, the main one being to kill the healer first. If there is no clear defined healer, or more than one, kill the softest one first. (Sapphire loves to chew on clothies). The other advantage that we have over other teams I have noticed is that we work well together. Neravan and Leonnis are two of the group of 5 that leveled together, and however we don’t always raid together anymore, we spent a lot of time playing together. We also talk on vent. When Leonnis or I change targets, the other does as well. It’s done as smoothly as Sapphire changing targets with me.

Arena is all about team work that is the difference between winning and losing. That and gear. The thing about our record is we are in PvE gear only. Leonnis has some BG gear, but his resilience is not much higher than mine or Neravan’s. I hit like a Mac truck, and the cat is not far behind me. I critted a mage last night for 2300, which is about 1/3 of his health. That’s a huge dent in their ability to fight back; it also makes their healer put full attention on them. Add in the damage that Sapphire and Leonnis do at the same time and all of a sudden it’s difficult to heal through it.

I think arena is something that is going to be a lot of fun going forward, and something that I would like to try and do weekly, well make a point of it really. There is nothing like standing toe to toe with the opposing team side by side with two great friends. Let the deaths continue!

2 Comments:

  1. nitehawke said...
    Think pet choice in arena is all about team strategy. At the top levels of arena teams, where hunters are woefully underrepresented because of some class limitations for this form of pvp, their primary purpose seems to be that of disruption and draining. Keeping up the mortal shot debuff on the dps targets, silencing/scattering healers at critical times, and always keeping up viper stings on healers until you have burned their mana down... The purpose of the scorpid is exclusively to make it difficult for a caster to debuff the viper stings. They get enough poison debuffs on there that keep stacking, and they can't get to your viper stings...

    You can read all kinds of hunter QQing about class problems in arena on the hunter forums, or at my favorite arena resource - www.arenajunkies.com
    Geek Gmr said...
    My arena team is slsl lock, BM hunter, and MM hunter. I have 2's also, but for the sake of points/time we only do normally 3's.

    I dunno about how you guys play, but I would have both druids pop out in cat form and stealth.. so YOU become the target. My hunter mates seem to enjoy watching the common arena strategy of "kill the lock" (which is me).. But in the rare occassions when I get to stay in the fight I put folks down. Hunters specialize in kiting. Get them on you and nobody need know that one of the cats doing the shredding behind them is resto.

    I'm no expert, but just my experience.. If you can force people to go after you.. You can easily get your mates to help you eliminate 1 of the dps (my favorite strat). My team is all DPS so if I am allowed to live, we can burn 1 dps down in quick fashion regardless of the healing power on the other side (plus my felhunter spellblocking him every few seconds, and curse of tongues to slow the casts he has to make).

    Druids in stealth make people panic.. I am usually relieved to see a cat and not a rogue. But that looming threat that there could be 2 rogues standing around that lone BM hunter.. makes people nervous. Use that to your advantage.. my 2 cents :) (first time to your blog.. will be back)

Post a Comment