It would appear to me that there is a high burn out rate amongst the raiders in this game. It’s that burn out rate that causes guilds like Death and Taxes to implode. It can also be argued that this is the advantage of having multiple toons. Most guilds spread gear using the simple policy mains before alts. The main question is, at which point is an alt no longer an alt, but instead a second main?
Generally when someone decides that they wish to switch their main, it’s not to another toon of the same class, or even job in a raid. This causes several problems in gearing and raid cinergy. This gimps the raid to the point of having to find another X class, and that person is now looking to take the place of someone else in the raid.
Let’s say that there is an opening there for the alt. Now the guild has to find an equally geared toon to fill in the hole that was left behind by the switch, and now allow the lesser geared alt to take gear that has already been taken by the main that left.
The main reason this is coming to mind today is I have been feeling the burnout with my hunter. I still enjoy the game, love my hunter, have not stopped gearing him, or playing him the hardest that I can, but don’t get the thrill out of raiding with him that I once did. For the moment, I prefer playing Benedykt, as he is a new challenge. I stopped tweaking Knurd’s UI long ago, stopped reading about shot rotations, macros, trapping, it’s all automatic now. It just happens flawlessly. Benedykt has breathed new life into the game.
I discovered that one of our healers is feeling the same burn out and would rather play her hunter than her healer. This makes things interesting. The first response is to just trade healer for hunter and be done with it. The problem is it’s not that simple. The toons are not equally geared by a long shot, and to be honest trading and giving up loot drops we have already gotten on our mains would not be a big deal. The problem is the gimping of the raid overall with the lesser healing and lesser DPS of the swap.
I guess my question is this, how does everyone else feel about swaps such as this? Should they be aloud? It’s not like myself or the other person are playing at anything less that top form even with the burnout, so that’s not an issue. It’s simple a matter of gear. And the gearing is not massive, but enough to be mentioned. We are talking about T5/T6 vs Kara/T4. I should probably mention this thought to her before posting it here, but ya know lol. We are both raiding with the alts during all T4 level raids already, and some of the T5.
Labels: General Wow, Other, Raid
I'd like to weigh in, since this is somewhat relevant to me.
I am a GM of a guild that has had issues in the past with the willy-nilly of changing alts, and it has caused us to implement rules against haphazard changing of alts.
That being said, there are a lot of people that DO burn out, and DO get tired of being pigeon-holed in their respective role, or they just aren't having fun anymore. All of these reasons are definitely a good reason to pick up another main and shelf a toon for a while.
In our guild the rules state that they must gear their alt appropriately, where they won't be a hinderance before we even talk about it.
It sounds to me, though, that your alt is at least appropriately geared. Often times a change from DPS to Heals is somewhat welcome. Lets face it, healers are always good to have kicking around, and DPS is far more abundant in terms of replacing, generally.
So at that point, I would suggest that you talk to someone in the guild that is an Officer, or a GM about it, and the pros that you can bring. Also, a good thing to do would be to offer the services of your hunter when maybe there are too many healers, or you are short dps.
Just my 2 (and then some) cents
-Andrew