While running around doing dailies last night, some of the most elite guilds on our server were gearing up to head into Sunwell for their nightly wiping err raiding session. This gave me a chance to look at the tier 6 gear for each of the classes on something other than my dressing room mirror.
I drooled over the Rogues and Hunters, but it is the priests I have always liked the most. I have done a piece on Hunter gear, so now I am going to give some attention to my other favorite class, The Priest.
I found that I started to hate my T4 pieces because the arena gear looked just like it, and therefore I did not stand out at all. I spent hours raiding to get the few pieces that I had, and here these people just spent some time in BG’s. Considering how much I detest the battle grounds, I guess it’s a fair trade. Now I have T5, and there are people running around in look alikes of that too … bah.
If you can’t beat em join em I suppose. Do not confuse my hatred of the Battle Grounds with a hatred of arena. I LOVE the arena. I don't have rely on 24+ strangers to work as a team to suceed. I am going to start doing arena with Benedykt for the sake of working on getting him some arena gear.
With the new season right around the corner, the part that I am interested in is the arena gear for the last 3 seasons has used the same graphic as the tier gear, so are we about to see a pre-view of T7?? We will have to see I suppose.
Back to raiding … I want to take a walk down the history of Tier Priest gear and take a look at what was … as I am beyond curious of what’s to come!Tier 1 This set reminds me of the mooncloth set that most tailoring priests start in at 70. There are a lot of things that look very similar with this set of gear. It was obtained pre-BC with regular trips into MC. When I say regular, I mean regular. Back then, from what I understand, MC was a 40 man raid and each boss only dropped one piece of gear. Not one piece of gear for each ... ONE piece of gear PERIOD! That means that to get the entire set, you were either greedy, or really lucky. Either way I doubt there were very many that farmed the entire set. Thank god blizzard fixed that.
Tier 2 This is my least favorite of all of the priest sets. It’s clad with very bright colors, and considering where it came from, I suppose it makes sense. If you were lucky the bosses in Onyxia’s Lair would grant you a piece of this set. In my opinion they were going after a scaly dragon look with this set of gear. The set bonuses weren’t anything to be scoffed however … 3 pieces restored 20Mp5, 5 pieces granted you a 50% chance that if you were struck in melee you would fade for 5 seconds, (I want that one today!!!), and last the 8 piece set granted your Greater Heal a HoT equal to renew rank 5.
Tier 3 This set was not bad however being possibly the plainest set blizzard put out. The design was rather basic, nothing to really make it stand out from the other gear at the time. This was another 8 piece set that dropped out of Naxxramas. This is name you should keep track of as it is returning with the release of WoLK. This set is a little different than any other set at the time as this was the first set that used multi-class tokens. However there was also rep required to obtain each piece.
Tier 4 This is a 5 piece set and probably the one we are most used to seeing. This set drops out of Kara, (Curator and the Prince), as well as Magtheridon’s Lair and Gruul’s Lair. This set is fairly easy to obtain as there are now even pug groups downing Gruul and Magtheridon. A look a-like set can also be obtained through BG play, so you don’t even have to do arena anymore to appear to have T4. They are completely different stats however, and the PvP gear for a priest is not suitable for long term replacement of PvE pieces.
Tier 5 This is the set that we have just started to move into. It is my opinion that at this point blizzard started to make priests look like fluffy warlocks. They have bright colors on their gear, but hoods over their heads, and glowing eyes. This 5 piece set drops from SSC and TK. If you are a holy priest, this is a nice set for you, but if you are a shadow priest, I feel this set is a little fruity.
Tier 6
Tier 6. Now we are onto the hottest armor set in the game period. This is the kind of set that people will return to BC just for the sake of getting to walk around town in. I think Blizzard had shadow priests in mind when they made it, but either way doesn’t matter. It reminds me of something forsaken. I personally think the best class for this set of gear would be an undead shadow priest. This is the only 8 piece set in BC dropping from some the nastiest bosses in the game. Very few have made it to the basement of The Black Temple, Survived the waves of trash in Mt. Hyjal, and seen anything past the first trash pull in the Sunwell to have the ability to adorn themselves with this hot set of gear.
This has been a trip down the road of gearing of a priest, both old school and new. Most people find a priest to be very painful, and it is until about lvl 40. For all the trouble that priests have gone through to get their gear, and the death tolls that far outrank any other class, Blizzard bestowed some of the best looking gear, with the greatest artists upon them.
Labels: General Wow, Priest, Raid
Speaking of huntery type things, I posted a reply to your comment. You mentioned how you were trying to get 143 Hit Rating because you feared that 142 was actually rounded up? Guess what -- 142 is the rounded up number! To get 1% of hit, you need 15.77 Hit Rating. Against a boss (who is assumed to be level 73 for the purposes of calculations), you have a base 10% to miss with full weapons skill. Since there is an inherent 1% miss no matter how much you stack Hit Rating, you need to get 9% to be unmissable. That’s 141.93 Hit Rating — which, rounded up, is the magical mystical 142 number!
Now, one point of Hit Rating isn't going to make or break your set (and I'd go as far as to say it's pretty hard to get exactly that number), but at least you have one less concern now!
Like you I am excited to see the progression of the priestly (and other!) gear in wrath.